Endpoint backup and recovery is one of the best tools an IT professional has to combat the growing array of data security threats.
A recent USA Today article cites a Symantec Internet Security Threat Report 2014 which found targeted attacks had grown by 91% compared to 2013 and 30% of the attacks were aimed specifically at small-to-midsized businesses. The article lists key steps to protecting against these threats including “back up your important files on a regular basis” which protects business data against user mishaps, laptop thefts or the growing risk of intentional sabotage facing end users.
Two recent threats show the damage and risks of not having your data protected which our hybrid cloud endpoint data protection service, Datacastle RED, would protect against.
This last week it was widely reported that the Federal Bureau of Investigation issued a 5-page “flash” warning to businesses about a malicious software attack. The FBI declined to say if the attack was against Sony Corp, however CBS News and others this week have reported on a devastating cyber attack that released the salary information of over 6,000 Sony employees and movies that had yet to be released.
The report outlines that it is extremely difficult and costly, if not impossible, to recover hard drives that have been attacked with the malware.
CryptoLocker and Ransomware
BBC reported that starting in September 2013 CryptoLocker began encrypting files on Windows computers and demanding a substantial fee before a key would be provided to allow end users to access their data. Over 500,000 victims of CryptoLocker were affected and shortly after a fix was created a new version of ransomware appeared in Gameover ZeuS which rapidly spread across the globe.
Attacks of this nature can spread quickly and can be very difficult to solve according to IT security firms like Fox-IT. “This time we basically got lucky,” said Michael Sandee a principal analyst with Fox-IT who helped tackle the cyber-crime group behind Cryptolocker.
It appears that only 1.3% of users affected by CryptoLocker paid the ransom within 72 hours and the remaining 98.7% had the encryption keys destroyed so their data could not be recovered unless they had a backup copy of their data.
Datacastle RED provides automated backup, and at-rest-encryption for the data on corporate endpoints ensuring that the data is safe at all times. Company administrators can help with point-in-time data restores for their users no matter what type of incident occurs to their users.